In considering a visit to Maungatautari you have 3 options:
A visit to the Southern Enclosure (0.5 - 2 hrs)
- this is our showcase site where all
re-introduced species are released and bird sightings are most likely here. There are a number of wide metaled tracks providing 5 kms of different walks. Within the Southern Enclosure we also offer Guided Walks and After Dark night walks.
A visit to the Northern Enclosure
(0.5 - 1 hr)
- this has different forests and streams and includes a 1.1 km perimeter walk.
- A walk Over the Mountain (5-6 hrs) - you need to allow most of the day for this and it is recommended for experienced trampers only.
All entrance gates are open.
Before leaving home you need to note:
Dogs are not permitted anywhere on Maungatautari unless they are certified predator/species tracking dogs or guide dogs which are muzzled.
Bikes are not permitted on the mountain tracks.
You will be entering a Biosecurity controlled area:
- check that you are not taking any risk material into the area e.g. live mice or
other animals, fruit or seeds
- double gates are there for security reasons; do not risk any inadvertent entries
or escapes through inappropriate use
- all plants and animals are protected and must not be disturbed
- anything you take into the area must be taken out again (this includes any
rubbish you create during your visit)
- keep to the paths and follow signs as directed
Pest control operations may be in progress at any time:
- keep well away from any baits
- do not interfere with coloured ribbon markers
- do not touch or interfere with traps or tracking tunnels
- supervise children at all times
All species are living in a wild and natural environment:
- they are free to come and go as they wish
- we cannot guarantee what you may or may not see
- please respect their home and move quietly for optimal chances of seeing them
Peanuts and peanut butter are used as bird food and predator bait
- please be aware if you have children with peanut allergies
There are many alternative routes to our mountain enclosures. Our Directions page does not list them all but gives directions that are the most straight forward.
The main entrance to the ecological island is situated in the small village of Pukeatua which has no food or drink outlets for casual visitors. Accommodation is similarly limited. The nearest towns providing these services are Arapuni (12 kms), Putaruru (26 kms), Te Awamutu (28 kms) Tirau (35 kms) and Cambridge (37 kms)...... more